Earlier today multiple outlets report that Head Coach Ben McAdoo and General Manager Jerry Reese were relieved of their duties.
-Ben McAdoo was in his second season as coach and had 13-15 record for the regular season for his tenure with the team. He took over for Tom Coughlin after the 2015 season after being the offensive coordinator for the team. We will have more on McAdoo later in the day!
-Jerry Reese took a job as a scout for the New York Giants. From 2002 until becoming general manager in 2007, he was the Director of Pro Personnel for the Giants. Reese participated in the Giants’ success in the 07 draft . Some of them played important roles in the Giants’ Super Bowl victories.
We will have more on this as the day rolls on!!
-Steve Spagnuolo was named the interim Head Coach.
Spagnuolo is in his second stint as the Giants’ defensive coordinator. Spagnuolo was the schemer of the 2007 Giants defense that ranked in the NFL’s Top 10 in eight statistical categories. Spagnuolo’s defense did its best work in the four-game postseason, allowing an average of 16.3 points per game.
He will meet with the media on Wednesday.
Mara Press Conference Notes
- John Mara stated that the Eli Manning situation had nothing to do with the decision. It had to do more with the simple fact of the team being 2-10 and that was not acceptable.
- The Decision was not made yesterday in Oakland . They agreed to meet this morning on a final decision.
- Mara stated that it was very difficult to Fire Reese as he has had a major role with the team.
- He feels Ben will have success as a coach and this is a learning experience.
- There were no plans to fire Ben McAdoo last Wednesday when the public backlash came.
- Mara stated that Ben came up with the plan for Eli to play a half then pull him at halftime. He thought he would have the opportunity to speak with Ben and be a little bit more flexable with it.
- Mara Stated that they changed their mind about making the coaching decision. Decided to go and jut clean house even after the statement. The team felt why wait as they stated they have three out of the last four at home.
- They also feel that they now could get a head start on finding a new GM
- They will make a decision shortly on Eli starting this week or not.
- Mara is hopeful about getting Davis Webb some time on the field to see what he could do.
- Mara and Tish are trying to figure out how they went 11-5 and how it spun out of control the way it has.
- Mara thought having the same offensive line would help and give them an advantage but instead they suffered a lot of injuries which put them behind the eight ball.
- Mara stated that he spoke to a lot of the players over the last few weeks and never got the feeling that they were not fighting and playing hard.
- Felt That Jerry and Ben did a great job of communicating with each other and will make sure the communication continues.
- The New GM will decide their staff.
- He wouldnt shy away from having a first time coach. There has been successful one in the past.
- It is possible to have a new GM by the end of the season
- Steve Spagnuolo will have an opportunity but at the job but the final decision will be from management.
- That thought ben was the right guy for the job. Nobody saw this coming
- He expects Odell to be part of the Giants future
/ 7 hours ago
So, it’s your son’s 28th birthday and once again as a parent, you do...
/ 12 hours ago
Canada’s Aaron Jeffery recorded his third straight victory last Friday by finishing Andre Petrovski...